New Jersey Energy Assistance Programs
Temporary Relief for Utility Expenses (TRUE) Grant
- TRUE helps moderate-income households who are behind in their PSE&G bills, providing a one-time grant of up to $1500 ($750 gas and $750 electric.)
- A two person household must have an annual income between $29,000 and $69,853. A four person household must have an annual income between $44,112 and $103,034.
- Be 45 days past due on your PSE&G bill or have received a shut off notice.
- Demonstrate that four payments of at least $25 each have been made in the last 6 months.
- Not have received LIHEAP or USF benefits in the last year.
For additional information or to obtain an application, call toll free 1-855-465-8783, go to a local PSE&G Customer Service Center, or visit Temporary Relief for Utility Expenses (TRUE).
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
For further information, call 1-800-510-3102 or visit New Jersey Energy Assistance.
- LIHEAP is designed to help low-income families and individuals meet home heating and medically necessary cooling costs.
- Subsidies are determined by income, household size, fuel type, and heating region.
- Eligible households must have a gross income below 175% of the federal poverty level.
- Eligible households must also be responsible for their own heating and cooling costs directly to the supplier or costs included in rent.
- Applications being accepted from November 1st to March 31st.
- To apply, contact the authorized local community action agency or community based organization in your area listed below or at Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).
- Universal Service Fund (USF)
For more information about USF and the Fresh Start Program, call 1-866-240-1347 or visit New Jersey Energy Assistance.
- If you have a utility balance of $60 or more when you enter the USF program, you may be eligible for additional benefits through the Fresh Start Program.
- If you pay your bill on time every month for the first 12 months that you are enrolled in USF, your overdue balance will be forgiven.
- If you are eligible for this program, you will be automatically enrolled with your LIHEAP/USF application.
- This benefit can only be used once and is only for new USF recipients.
- New Jersey Lifeline (NJLL)
For more information and applications, call 1-800-792-9745 or visit any of the PSE&G Customer Service Centers, listed below, to pick up an application. Applications can also be downloaded.
- NJLL is a utility assistance program that provides $225 credit toward natural gas and electric bills ($112.50 per service)
- One credit is given per eligible household, per year.
- Applications are accepted year round.
- Senior Citizens at least 65 years old or disabled adults at least 18 years old who receive Social Security Disability benefits
- PADD recipients automatically eligible
- Single- no more than $21,850 annual income
- Married- no more than $26,791 annual income
- New Jersey Statewide Heating Assistance and Referral for Energy Services (NJ SHARES)
For more information, please call 1-866-657-4273 or visit NJ SHARES.
- NJ Shares is a non-profit organization who assists people who have fallen behind in their natural gas and electric utility bills due to a temporary financial crisis.
- No income guidelines to qualify.
- Must demonstrate a temporary financial need.
- Must have made a good faith payment of at least $100 to service providers within 90 days prior to application.
- NJ Shares provides relief to those who are not already receiving TANF, GA, LIHEAP, or USF.
- Maximum grant of $250 for natural gas and $250 for electric. If you have electric heat, then a maximum of $500 may be granted.
- Applications can be found at local agencies listed below or at Where to Apply (from NJ Shares).
- When applying, you will need identification, your utility bill, and proof of income.
- Emergency cases can be handled within 48 hours of notifying the NJ Shares office. Most cases are approved or denied within 7-10 business days of application. When approved, grants applied directly to bill within 15-20 days of application.
- PSE&G Equal Payment Plan (EPP)
- EPP lets you pay the same amount each month for your gas and electric bills.
- Pay a fixed amount each month.
For more information, call 1-888-275-PSEG (7734) or visit Equal Payment Plan.
- New Jersey Comfort Partners
- Statewide low-income energy conservation program sponsored by utility companies in conjunction with the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities.
- This Program is designed to improve energy affordability for income eligible households. This objective is accomplished through the direct installation of energy efficiency measures, personalized customer energy education and counseling, free of charge.
- Participating customers may also qualify for an account balance reduction.
- Participants are asked to partner with the program to develop and carry out a household energy savings Action Plan.
- Direct installation of cost-effective energy efficiency measures in the home (determined on a home-specific basis) which can include: efficient lighting products; hot water conservation measures (water heater insulation, water heater pipe insulation and energy-saving showerheads and aerators); replacement of inefficient refrigerators; thermostats; insulation upgrades (attic, wall, etc.); blower-door guided air sealing; duct sealing and repair; heating/cooling equipment maintenance and other home-specific measures
- The free service also includes comprehensive, personalized energy education and counseling; and account balance reduction for qualified participants who agree to payment plans.
- Total Household Income my be at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level
- Participants of TANF, LIHEAP, USF, Lifeline, Pharmaceutical Assistance to the Aged and Disabled (PAAD), or Federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Customer of record with a separately metered electric or gas account.
- Live in a building with 1-4 units. (Larger buildings may be included at the discretion of the local utility.)
- Participation is prioritized by energy use with the highest energy users being served first.
- Renters must first get signed, written permission from landlord for participation.
For more information or to apply, call 1-888-773-8326 or visit New Jersey Comfort Partners.
This information last reviewed 10/25/11.