curved lines

LSNJ LAW has just been redesigned to better answer your legal questions, help you with your legal problems, or just teach you more about the law.
Please visit our new Web site at

LSNJLAW: You and the Law in New Jersey
  Read ThisOnline IntakeGet More HelpAbout LSNJEspanolSite Map


Home Help      
Home Page > Disability > Employment Rights for People with Disabilities in New Jersey

Rehabilitation Act


The Rehabilitation Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in federal employment. It has similar standards for employment discrimination to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and applies to employers and organizations that receive financial assistance from federal departments and agencies.

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act protects qualified individuals with disabilities. Similar to the ADA, a qualified person can perform the essential functions of the job. A person with a disability has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity. The employer is required to make reasonable accommodations, unless doing so would cause undue hardship.

Federal agencies typically have their own set of Section 504 regulations that apply to their own programs. Normally, employees are offered the option of an internal complaint within the agency, or an external complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice. See the Disability Rights Section Home Page (from the U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division). Please note that filing an internal complaint does not necessarily preserve your rights to pursue an external complaint. Also, in some cases you may be able to file a Rehabilitation Act lawsuit in court without first filing an administrative complaint.


This information last reviewed 1/18/12.


Top of page Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Glossary

Low-income New Jerseyans can get free legal help by phone: call our toll-free hotline at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Outside of New Jersey, please call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.