curved lines

LSNJ LAW has just been redesigned to better answer your legal questions, help you with your legal problems, or just teach you more about the law.
Please visit our new Web site at

LSNJLAW: You and the Law in New Jersey
  Read ThisOnline IntakeGet More HelpAbout LSNJEspanolSite Map

Family and Relationships

Home Help      
Home Page > Family and Relationships > Child Support > How to Change a Child Support Order

I am the parent who is supposed to be receiving support


Before you can ask the court to change your child support order, you must have had a “change in circumstances” since the date of your last child support order.

Listed below are some examples of possible “changes in circumstances”. Review this list to help decide if you have had a “change in circumstances”.

  1. You have a new job and are making less money than you were when child support was last ordered.

  2. Since the date of your last order you were fired or “laid off” from your job.

  3. Since the date of your last order you quit your job.

  4. You are receiving unemployment benefits.

  5. You cannot work because you are sick or disabled.

  6. You are receiving Social Security Disability (SSDI).

  7. You are receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

  8. The child’s other parent is making more money than he or she was making when the child support was last ordered.

  9. It has been two years or more since child support was ordered in your case and the court has not contacted you about the automatic cost of living increase that you are entitled to receive every two years.

  10. You need help with payment of extra medical expenses for your children (not covered by insurance).

  11. You need to ask the other parent to cover the children under his or her medical insurance because you no longer have medical insurance, or the parent paying support now has available insurance.

  12. You need help with payment of college expenses.

  13. The parent paying support gets credit for visitation with the children and he or she is not visiting with the children.  

Choose the link that applies to you:


  • I have not had a "change in circumstances"

  • I have had a "change in circumstances"

  • Links


    Top of page Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Glossary

    Low-income New Jerseyans can get free legal help by phone: call our toll-free hotline at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Outside of New Jersey, please call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.