curved lines

LSNJ LAW has just been redesigned to better answer your legal questions, help you with your legal problems, or just teach you more about the law.
Please visit our new Web site at

LSNJLAW: You and the Law in New Jersey
  Read ThisOnline IntakeGet More HelpAbout LSNJEspanolSite Map

Family and Relationships

Home Help      
Home Page > Family and Relationships > Child Support > How to Change a Child Support Order > I am the parent who is supposed to be receiving support > I have had a "change in circumstances" > Yes I have a copy of my most recent child support order

Docket number begins with FM


You are the parent receiving support and the docket number of your case begins with “FM”. In order to change a child support order, in a FM case, follow the directions outlined below. You may print a copy of these directions to take with you.

  1. Go to the family intake office of the county courthouse in the county where you got your original child support order. For a list of courthouse addresses where you go to file an application to modify child support order, go to the New Jersey Child Support Web page (link below).

  2. At the family intake office ask for copies of forms called “Post Judgment Motion Papers” These papers are also available from the New Jersey Judiciary Web site (see "How to Ask the Court to Change or Enforce an Order in Your Case" link below).

  3. You will need to  put in the motion papers all of the  reasons why you believe the court order should be changed. Some examples of reasons for changes are:

    1. You have a new job and are making less money than you were when the child support was last ordered.

    2. Since the date of  the last order you were fired or “laid off” from your job.

    3. Since the date of the last order you quit your job.

    4. You are receiving unemployment benefits.

    5. You cannot work because you are sick or disabled.

    6. You are receiving Social Security Disability (SSD).

    7. You are receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

    8. The child’s other parent is making more money than he or she was making when the child support was last ordered.

    9. It has been two years of more since child support was ordered in your case and the court has not contacted you about the automatic cost of living increase that you are  entitled to receive every two years.

    10. You need help with payment of extra medical expenses for your children (not covered by insurance).

    11. You need to ask the other parent to cover the children under his or her medical insurance because you no longer have medical insurance, or the parent paying support now has available insurance.

    12. You need help with payment of college expenses.

    13. The parent paying support gets credit for visitation with the children and he or she is not visiting with the children.

  4. In addition, you will probably also be required to fill out a new Family Case Information Statement which will update your financial information since you last filed this document as a part of the divorce action. You can get this form from the family intake office of the court.



Top of page Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Glossary

Low-income New Jerseyans can get free legal help by phone: call our toll-free hotline at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Outside of New Jersey, please call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.