curved lines

LSNJ LAW has just been redesigned to better answer your legal questions, help you with your legal problems, or just teach you more about the law.
Please visit our new Web site at

LSNJLAW: You and the Law in New Jersey
  Read ThisOnline IntakeGet More HelpAbout LSNJEspanolSite Map

Family and Relationships

Home Help      
Home Page > Family and Relationships > Child Support > How to Change a Child Support Order > I am the parent who is supposed to be receiving support > I have not had a "change in circumstances" > Yes I have a copy of my most recent child support order

Docket number begins with FM


You are the parent receiving support and the docket number of your case begins with “FM”.  In order to enforce a child support order in an FM case, follow the directions outlined below. You may print a copy of these directions to take with you.

  1. Go to the family intake office of the County courthouse in the county where you got your original child support order. Visit the New Jersey Child Support Web site (see link below) for a list of courthouse addresses where you can go to file an application to modify achild support order.

  2. At the family intake office ask for copies of forms called “Post Judgment Motion Papers” These papers are also available over on the New Jersey Judiciary Web site (see "How to Ask the Court to Change or Enforce an Order in Your Case" link below).

    You will need to fill out this form with all of the reasons why you believe the court should enforce the order. Some examples of reasons for enforcement are:

    1. You have not received any child support since the last court order.

    2. You have received only partial child support payments since the last court order.

    3. You are receiving the child support payments late every month.

    4. You are only receiving sporadic child support payments every month.

    5. The parent paying support is ordered to provide medical insurance for the child(ren) and is not providing

For further information about the consequences to the other parent of not paying child support and to see what types of collection methods may be used to collect child support, visit the New Jersey Child Support Web site (see link below).



Top of page Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Glossary

Low-income New Jerseyans can get free legal help by phone: call our toll-free hotline at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Outside of New Jersey, please call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.