curved lines

LSNJ LAW has just been redesigned to better answer your legal questions, help you with your legal problems, or just teach you more about the law.
Please visit our new Web site at

LSNJLAW: You and the Law in New Jersey
  Read ThisOnline IntakeGet More HelpAbout LSNJEspanolSite Map

Family and Relationships

Home Help      
Home Page > Family and Relationships > Child Support > How to Change a Child Support Order > I am the parent who is supposed to be receiving support > I have not had a "change in circumstances" > Yes I have a copy of my most recent child support order

Docket number begins with FV


You are the parent receiving support and the docket number of your case begins with “FV”. In order to enforce a child support order, in an FV case, follow the directions outlined below. You may print out a copy of these directions to take with you.

  1. Go to the family intake office of the County courthouse in the county where you got your original child support order. Visit the New Jersey Child Support Web site (link below) for a list of courthouse addresses where you can go to file an application to modify a child support order.

  2. Ask to speak to the domestic violence team leader or other staff member in the Domestic Violence Unit of the Family Part.

  3. Ask for the form(s) to Request that the Court enforce the child support provision of Your Domestic Violence Restraining Order.

    NOTE – if you are incarcerated and cannot physically get to the courthouse you are permitted to use the post-judgment motion papers found on the New Jersey Judiciary Web site (see "How to Ask the Court to Change or Enforce an Order in Your Case" link below). However, all other persons must use the shorter form(s) provided at the courthouse.

  4. You will need to put in the forms the reasons why you believe the court order should be enforced. Some examples of reasons for enforcement are:

    1. You have not received any child support since the last court order.

    2. You have received only partial child support payments since the last court order.

    3. You are receiving the child support payments late every month.

    4. You are only receiving sporadic child support payments every month.

    5. The parent paying support is ordered to provide medical insurance for the child(ren) and is not providing that insurance.

    6. You should also attach any documents which support your reasons for your request.

Procedure for Filing Papers and Appearing in Court

  1. Make two copies of your papers and file them with the clerk at the family intake office. Be sure that you get a copy back.

  2. A member of the staff of the Domestic Violence unit will then serve the other parent by sending him or her a copy of your papers.

  3. A few weeks later you will receive a notice of a hearing and a date and time to appear at the courthouse.

  4. If you are worried about your safety call the court and ask that extra security be assigned to the court room where you and the other parent will be appearing before the judge.

  5. On the date of the hearing the judge will hear from the person requesting the hearing first. Then the other person will get a chance to respond. The judge will also consider any documents that you bring which support your reasons for needing to enforce the child support order.

  6. After the judge has listened to the testimony and considered the documents of both parents he or she will make a decision and record that decision in a court order.

  7. After the judge signs the order you must get a copy of the signed order.

For further information about the consequences to the other parent of not paying child support and to see what types of collection methods may be used to collect child support, select the "New Jersey Child Support" link below.



Top of page Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Glossary

Low-income New Jerseyans can get free legal help by phone: call our toll-free hotline at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Outside of New Jersey, please call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.