curved lines

LSNJ LAW has just been redesigned to better answer your legal questions, help you with your legal problems, or just teach you more about the law.
Please visit our new Web site at

LSNJLAW: You and the Law in New Jersey
  Read ThisOnline IntakeGet More HelpAbout LSNJEspanolSite Map

Family and Relationships

Home Help      
Home Page > Family and Relationships > Custody/Visitation > How to Change or Enforce a Custody/Visitation Order > I am the custodial parent > I have not had a change in circumstances > I do not have a copy of my most recent custody/visitation order > Click here to continue > Docket number begins with FM

View additional information about how to appear in court and argue your motion


Procedures for Appearing and Arguing a Motion in the Chancery Division Family Part of Superior Court of New Jersey in an “FM” case.

  1. Make two copies of your papers and file them with the clerk at the family intake office. Make sure that you get a copy back.

  2. The clerk will then serve the other parent by sending him or her a copy of your papers.

  3. The court will assign a date for your motion and send a notice to you and the other parent about where and when to appear. If you cannot appear on the scheduled date call the court immediately.

View addresses and phone numbers for the county courthouses.

  1. Before you go to court it is a good idea to make a list of the reasons why you needed to make this motion to enforce the custody or visitation order. Those reasons should be the same as the reasons that you listed on the papers that you filed with the court.

    If you have new information to give to the court, information that is different from the information on the court papers you must tell the court as soon as possible, or at least on the date of the hearing. If the new information is important the court may adjourn ( reschedule) the hearing to allow the other parent time to prepare a response.

  2. On the date of your court appearance you may be required to appear before a mediator first before you appear before a judge. The mediator will give both you and the other parent an opportunity to speak and will then try to help you reach an agreement. If you are able to reach an agreement, the mediator will write that agreement down in the form of a court order called a consent order. The judge will review the proposed court order and sign it if he or she feels it is proper. Both you and the other parent will also sign the consent order.

  3. If you are unable to come to an agreement with the mediator, you will have a hearing before a judge. The judge will normally ask the person who filed the motion (known as the moving party) to speak first. The judge will then give the other parent time to respond to the arguments of the moving party.

  4. If the judge feels that he or she needs more information, he or she may:
    1. Order investigations done by the court (sometimes called best interest investigations.)
    2. Order psychological evaluations of parents and child(ren).
    3. Order medical examinations of the child(ren).
    4. Order that a school provide records to the court.
    5. Order that DYFS conduct home evaluations of both parents’ homes.
    6. Order that DYFS provide records of prior involvement with your family(if there has been prior DYFS involvement).
    7. Request copies of the child(ren)’s medical records.

  5. If the judge feels that he or she has enough information to make a decision he or she issues a decision orally and fills out a written court order which either grants the motion or denies it.

    Motion denied.

    If the motion is denied the most recent order issued before the motion was filed remains in place and both parties must continue to follow that order. The judge will direct the court staff to make sure that both parties get a copy of the order denying the motion.

    Motion granted.

    If the motion is granted the judge will write out a new order which states that the motion was granted and orders new custody or visitation arrangements.

  6. Both parties should get a copy of the signed order and take it with them before they leave the courthouse.

    The new order becomes the order that both parties must follow.


Top of page Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Glossary

Low-income New Jerseyans can get free legal help by phone: call our toll-free hotline at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Outside of New Jersey, please call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.