curved lines

LSNJ LAW has just been redesigned to better answer your legal questions, help you with your legal problems, or just teach you more about the law.
Please visit our new Web site at

LSNJLAW: You and the Law in New Jersey
  Read ThisOnline IntakeGet More HelpAbout LSNJEspanolSite Map

Family and Relationships

Home Help      
Home Page > Family and Relationships > Custody/Visitation > How to Change or Enforce a Custody/Visitation Order > I am the custodial parent > I have had a change in circumstances > I do not have a copy of my most recent custody/visitation order > Click here to continue

Docket number begins with FM


The letters “FM” in front of a docket number indicate that the case is a divorce (matrimonial) case. In order to change a custody/visitation order, in a FM case, follow the directions outlined below.

  1. Go to the family intake office of the County courthouse in the county where you got your original custody/visitation order.

    View a list of county courthouse addresses and phone numbers.

  2. At the family intake office, ask for copies of forms to modify a custody/visitation matter in an FM case.  These papers are also available over the internet from the New Jersey State Judiciary Website.

    View motion papers and instructions. Choose "Family matters" and then "How to ask the court to change or Enforce and Order in your Case."

  3. Include in the forms all of the reasons why you need to have the court order changed.
  4. You should also attach to the motion papers that support the reasons for your request, such as medical records, school records, etc.

View more information about the subject of custody and visitation.  Choose this publication: "Parenting time: A Child's Right- New Jersey Laws Governing Custody and Parenting Time."


Top of page Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Glossary

Low-income New Jerseyans can get free legal help by phone: call our toll-free hotline at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Outside of New Jersey, please call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.