curved lines

LSNJ LAW has just been redesigned to better answer your legal questions, help you with your legal problems, or just teach you more about the law.
Please visit our new Web site at

LSNJLAW: You and the Law in New Jersey
  Read ThisOnline IntakeGet More HelpAbout LSNJEspanolSite Map

Family and Relationships

Home Help      
Home Page > Family and Relationships > Custody/Visitation > How to Change or Enforce a Custody/Visitation Order > I am the custodial parent > I have had a change in circumstances > I do not have a copy of my most recent custody/visitation order > Click here to continue

Docket number begins with FV


The letters FV in front of the docket number indicate that the case is a domestic violence case. In order to change the custody/visitation terms of a restraining order in an FV case, follow the steps below.

  1. Go to the family intake office of the County courthouse in the county where you got your original restraining order.

    View a list of county courthouse addresses and phone numbers.

  2. Ask to speak to the domestic violence team leader or other staff member in the Domestic Violence Unit of the Family Part.

  3. Ask for the form(s) used to request a change of a restraining order. A staff member will give you the correct form(s).

    NOTE – if you are incarcerated or disabled and cannot physically get to the courthouse, you are permitted to use the post judgment motion papers found at theinternet site for the New Jersey court system. All other persons must use the shorter forms provided at teh courthouse.

    View motion papers and instructions. Choose  "Famly Matters" and “How to Ask the Court to Change or Enforce an Order in Your Case.”
  4. You will need to put in the forms all of the reasons why you need to have the court order changed. 

    View more information about the subject of custody and visitation and choose this publication: Parenting Time: A Child’s Right - New Jersey Laws Governing Custody and Parenting Time'".

  5. You should also attach to the form(s) any documents that support the reasons for your request, such as medical records, school records, etc.

  • View additional information about how to appear in court and argue your motion

  • View examples of possible changes in circumstances experienced by a custodial parent that might require a change in the terms of the court order


    Top of page Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Glossary

    Low-income New Jerseyans can get free legal help by phone: call our toll-free hotline at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Outside of New Jersey, please call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.