curved lines

LSNJ LAW has just been redesigned to better answer your legal questions, help you with your legal problems, or just teach you more about the law.
Please visit our new Web site at

LSNJLAW: You and the Law in New Jersey
  Read ThisOnline IntakeGet More HelpAbout LSNJEspanolSite Map

Family and Relationships

Home Help      
Home Page > Family and Relationships > Custody/Visitation > How to Change or Enforce a Custody/Visitation Order > I am the custodial parent > I have had a change in circumstances > I do not have a copy of my most recent custody/visitation order > Click here to continue > Docket number begins with FV

View additional information about how to appear in court and argue your motion


Procedures for Filing Motion Papers in Chancery Division Family Part of Superior Court of New Jersey in an “FV” case.

  1. Make two copies of your papers and file them with the clerk at the family intake office. Make sure that you get a copy back.

  2. The clerk will then serve the other parent by sending him or her a copy of your papers.

  3. The court will assign a date for your motion and send a notice to you and the other parent about where and when to appear. If you cannot appear on the scheduled date call the court immediately.

    View addresses and phone numbers for the county courthouses.

  4. Before you go to court it is a good idea to make a list of the reasons why you need to change the custody or visitation order. Those reasons should be the same as the reasons that you listed on the papers that you filed with the court.

    If you have new information to give to the court, information that is different from the information on the court papers you must tell the court as soon as possible, or at least on the date of the hearing. If the new information is important the court may adjourn ( reschedule) the hearing to allow the other parent time to prepare a response.

  5. Parties who are not involved domestic violence cases are normally required to appear before a mediator first before they appear before a judge. However, parties who have a restraining orders against each other are exempt from participating in mediation.

  6. At the hearing the judge will normally ask the person who filed the motion (known as the moving party) to speak first. The judge will then give the other parent time to respond to the arguments of the moving party.

  7. If the judge feels that he or she needs more information, he or she can do the following:
    1. Interview the child(ren)—If the judge decides to interview the child(ren) the interview will take place in the judge’s chambers (private office). The judge may give you and the other parent an opportunity to submit questions to be asked. The judge may decide not to ask some of your questions, but he or she must give you reasons. The judge's interview with the child(ren) must be recorded and you may get a copy of the transcript (printed record) of the interview if you request it. There is a charge for the transcripts.
    2. Order investigations done by the court (sometimes called best interest investigations.)
    3. Order psychological evaluations of parents and child(ren).
    4. Order medical examinations of the child(ren).
    5. Order that a school provide records to the court.
    6. Order that DYFS conduct home evaluations of both parents’ homes.
    7. Order that DYFS provide records of prior involvement with your family(if there has been prior DYFS involvement).
    8. Request copies of the child(ren)’s medical records.

  8. If the judge feels that he or she has enough information to make a decision he or she issues a decision orally and fills out a written court order which either grants the motion or denies it.

    Motion denied.

    If the motion is denied the most recent order issued before the motion was filed remains in place and both parties must continue to follow that order. The judge will direct the court staff to make sure that both parties get a copy of the order denying the motion.

    Motion granted.

    If the motion is granted the judge will write out a new order which states that the motion was granted and orders new custody or visitation arrangements.

  9. Both parties should get a copy of the signed order and take it with them before they leave the courthouse.

  10. Both parties must now follow the directions of the new Amended Final Restraining order with respect to custody and visitation.

    NOTE - The rest of the relief in the new Amended Final Restraining Order will remain the same as in the relief in the original Final Restraining Order. The defendant ( the party who committed the act of domestic violence) is still restrained from any and all contact with the plaintiff ( the part who was the victim of the domestic violence)

    SAFETY PRECAUTION - Make sure to give a copy of the new Amended Final Restraining Order to your local police department and anyone else to whom you gave a copy of the prior order.


Top of page Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Glossary

Low-income New Jerseyans can get free legal help by phone: call our toll-free hotline at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Outside of New Jersey, please call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.