curved lines

LSNJ LAW has just been redesigned to better answer your legal questions, help you with your legal problems, or just teach you more about the law.
Please visit our new Web site at

LSNJLAW: You and the Law in New Jersey
  Read ThisOnline IntakeGet More HelpAbout LSNJEspanolSite Map

Family and Relationships

Home Help      
Home Page > Family and Relationships > Custody/Visitation > How to Change or Enforce a Custody/Visitation Order > I am the non-custodial parent > I have had a change in circumstances > I have a copy of my most recent custody/visitation order

Docket number begins with FM


The letters “FM” in front of a docket number indicate that the case is a divorce (matrimonial) case In order to change a custody/visitation order, in an FM case, follow the directions outlined below.

  1. Go to the family intake office of the County courthouse in the county where you got your original custody/visitation order.

    View list of county courthouse addresses and phone numbers.

  2. At the family intake office, ask for copies of forms called “Post Judgment Motion Papers.” These papers are also available over the internet.

    View motion papers and instructions. Choose"Family Matters" and then
    "How to Ask the Court to Change or Enforce an Order in Your Case."

  3. Include in the forms all of the reasons why you need to have the court order changed.

    View more information about the subject of custody and visitation and choose this publication: "Parenting Time: A Child’s Right - New Jersey Laws Governing Custody and Parenting Time."

  4. You should also attach to the motion papers that support the reasons for your request, such as medical records, school records, etc.

  • View additional information about how to appear in court and argue your motion

  • View examples of possible changes in circumstances experienced by a custodial parent that may require a change in the terms of the court order


    Top of page Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Glossary

    Low-income New Jerseyans can get free legal help by phone: call our toll-free hotline at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Outside of New Jersey, please call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.