curved lines

LSNJ LAW has just been redesigned to better answer your legal questions, help you with your legal problems, or just teach you more about the law.
Please visit our new Web site at

LSNJLAW: You and the Law in New Jersey
  Read ThisOnline IntakeGet More HelpAbout LSNJEspanolSite Map

Family and Relationships

Home Help      
Home Page > Family and Relationships > Custody/Visitation > How to Change or Enforce a Custody/Visitation Order > I am the non-custodial parent > I have had a change in circumstances > I do not have a copy of my most recent custody/visitation order > Click here to continue

Docket number begins with FD


The letters “FD” before a docket number indicate that the case is a non-divorce family case ( usually dealing with the issues of child support or custody/ visitation) In order to change a custody/visitation order in an FD case, follow the directions outlined below.

  1. Go to the family intake office of the county courthouse in the county where you got your original custody/visitation order.

    View a list of county courthouse addresses and phone numbers.

  2. At the family intake office ask for the form(s) used to modify a custody/visitation order in an FD case. A staff member will give you the correct form(s).

    NOTE – if you are incarcerated or disabled and cannot physically get to the courthouse, you are permitted to use the post judgment motion papers found at this internet site.  All other persons must use the shorter forms provided at the courthouse.

    View motion papers and forms.

    Choose  “Family Matters" and then "How to Ask the Court to Change or Enforce an Order in Your Case”

  3. You will need to put in the forms all of the reasons why you need to have the court order changed.

    View more information about the subject of custody and visitation. Choose this publication: "Parenting Time: A Child’s Right - New Jersey Laws Governing Custody and Parenting Time."

  4. You should also attach to the form(s) any documents that support your reasons for your request, such as medical records, school records, etc.


Top of page Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Glossary

Low-income New Jerseyans can get free legal help by phone: call our toll-free hotline at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Outside of New Jersey, please call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.