The letters FV in front of the docket number indicate that the case is a domestic violence case. In order to change the custody/visitation terms of a restraining order in an FV case, follow the steps below.
- Go to the family intake office of the County courthouse in the county where you got your original restraining order.
View a list of county courthouse addresses and phone numbers.
- Ask to speak to the domestic violence team leader or other staff member in the Domestic Violence Unit of the Family Part.
- Ask for the form(s) used to request a change of a restraining order. A staff member will give you the correct form(s).
NOTE – if you are incarcerated or disabled and cannot physically get to the courthouse, you are permitted to use the post judgment motion papers found at theinternet site for the New Jersey court system. All other persons must use the shorter forms provided at teh courthouse.
View motion papers and instructions. Choose "Famly Matters" and “How to Ask the Court to Change or Enforce an Order in Your Case.”
- You will need to put in the forms all of the reasons why you need to have the court order changed.
View more information about the subject of custody and visitation and choose this publication: Parenting Time: A Child’s Right - New Jersey Laws Governing Custody and Parenting Time'".
- You should also attach to the form(s) any documents that support the reasons for your request, such as medical records, school records, etc.