curved lines

LSNJ LAW has just been redesigned to better answer your legal questions, help you with your legal problems, or just teach you more about the law.
Please visit our new Web site at

LSNJLAW: You and the Law in New Jersey
  Read ThisOnline IntakeGet More HelpAbout LSNJEspanolSite Map

Family and Relationships

Home Help      
Home Page > Family and Relationships > Custody/Visitation > How to Change or Enforce a Custody/Visitation Order > I am the non-custodial parent > I have not had a change in circumstances

I have a copy of my most recent custody/visitation order

In order to keep track of the many different kinds of cases heard in the family courts, the cases are assigned a docket number with a letter prefix. Different kinds of cases are managed in different ways including handling requests for copies of court orders. To determine what kind of case your court order came from, look at the document for a docket number. The docket number will be written or printed on the first page of the order. The docket number will begin with a letter prefix made up of two letters, usually either “FD”, “FV” or “FM”.

Click below on the statement that applies to your situation:

  • Docket number begins with FC, FG, FN or FL

  • Docket number begins with FD

  • Docket number begins with FM

  • Docket number begins with FV


    Top of page Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Glossary

    Low-income New Jerseyans can get free legal help by phone: call our toll-free hotline at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Outside of New Jersey, please call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.