curved lines

LSNJ LAW has just been redesigned to better answer your legal questions, help you with your legal problems, or just teach you more about the law.
Please visit our new Web site at

LSNJLAW: You and the Law in New Jersey
  Read ThisOnline IntakeGet More HelpAbout LSNJEspanolSite Map

Family and Relationships

Home Help      
Home Page > Family and Relationships > Custody/Visitation > How to Change or Enforce a Custody/Visitation Order > I am the non-custodial parent > I have not had a change in circumstances > I have a copy of my most recent custody/visitation order

Docket number begins with FD


To enforce a custody/visitation order in an FD case, follow the directions outlined below.

  1. Go to the family intake office of the County courthouse in the county where you got your original custody/visitation order.

    View a list of county courthouse addresses and phone numbers.

  2. At the family intake office of the courthouse, ask for the form(s) used to enforce a custody/visitation order in an FD case. A staff member will give you the correct form(s).

    NOTE – if you are incarcerated or cannot physically get to the courthouse, you are permitted to use the post judgment motion papers available on the internet.

    View motion papers and instructions. Choose "Family Matters" and then “How to Ask the court to Change or Enforce an Order in Your Case”.

    All other persons must use the shorter form(s) provided at the courthouse.

  3. You will need to put in the forms the reasons why you need to have the court order enforced. Some examples of reasons for enforcement are:
    1. The custodial parent is preventing you from visiting with the child(ren).
    2. The custodial parent is not providing the child(ren) for visits according to the schedule in the court order.
    3. The custodial parent is not providing the child(ren) on time for visits.
    4. The custodial parent is not available when you drop the child(ren) off after visits.
    5. The visits are not taking place in the location where they are ordered to take place.

You should also attach to the form(s) any documents that support the reasons for your request. For example, if the visitation drop off and pick up are happening at a police station, the police will have filed an incident report if you reported that the custodial parent arrived late or did not arrive at all with the child(ren). You may want to attach copies of the report(s) to the form(s). 

View more information about the subject of custody and visitation. Choose this publication: "Parenting Time: A Child's Right- new Jersey Laws Governing Custody and Parenting Time."


  • View additional information about how to appear in court and argue your motion


    Top of page Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Glossary

    Low-income New Jerseyans can get free legal help by phone: call our toll-free hotline at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Outside of New Jersey, please call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.