curved lines

LSNJ LAW has just been redesigned to better answer your legal questions, help you with your legal problems, or just teach you more about the law.
Please visit our new Web site at

LSNJLAW: You and the Law in New Jersey
  Read ThisOnline IntakeGet More HelpAbout LSNJEspanolSite Map

Family and Relationships

Home Help      
Home Page > Family and Relationships > Custody/Visitation > How to Change or Enforce a Custody/Visitation Order > I am the non-custodial parent > I have not had a change in circumstances > I do not have a copy of my most recent custody/visitation order > Click here to continue

Docket number begins with FV


To enforce a custody/visitation order in an FV case, follow the directions outlined below.

  1. Go to the family intake office of the county courthouse in the county where you got your original custody/visitation order.

    View a list of county courthouse addresses and phone numbers.

  2. Ask to speak to the domestic violence team leader or other staff member in the Domestic Violence Unit of the Family Part.

  3. Ask for the form(s) used to request enforcement of a restraining order. A staff member will give you the correct form(s).

    NOTE – if you are incarcerated or cannot physically get to the courthouse, you are permitted to use the post judgment motion papers found on the internet.

    View motion papers and instructions. Choose “How to Ask the court to Change or Enforce an Order in Your Case”.

    All other persons must use the shorter form(s) provided at the courthouse.

  4. You will need to include in the form(s) all of the reasons why you need to have the court order enforced. Some examples of reasons for enforcement are:
    1. The non-custodial parent is arriving late when picking the child(ren) up for visits and returning the child(ren) from visits.
    2. The visits are not taking place where they are ordered to take place.
    3. The visits are ordered to be supervised and they are not being supervised.

  5. Also attach to the form(s)any documents that support your reasons for your request. For example, if the visitation drop off and pick up are happening at a police station, the police will have filed an incident report if you reported that the non-custodial parent arrived late to pick up the child(ren) and to return the child(ren). You may want to attach cop(ies) of the report(s) to the form(s).

View more information about the subject of custody and visitation. Choose this publication: "Parenting Time: A Child's Right- New Jersey Laws Governing Custody and Parenting Time."


  • View additional information about how to appear in court and argue your motion


    Top of page Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Glossary

    Low-income New Jerseyans can get free legal help by phone: call our toll-free hotline at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Outside of New Jersey, please call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.