curved lines

LSNJ LAW has just been redesigned to better answer your legal questions, help you with your legal problems, or just teach you more about the law.
Please visit our new Web site at http://www.lsnjlaw.org.

LSNJLAW: You and the Law in New Jersey
LSNJ
  Read ThisOnline IntakeGet More HelpAbout LSNJEspanolSite Map
 
healthcare

Health Care

Home Help      
Home Page > Health Care > Lead and Other Hazards

Has Your Child Been Tested for Lead Poisoning?

 

In 1995, New Jersey passed a law that every doctor, nurse practitioner, and health care facility in the state must screen for lead poisoning all children under the age of 6 who come to them for their health care. Has your child been tested?

Why should my child be tested?

Lead is a mineral that our bodies cannot use for anything. If it gets into our bodies, it can build up and poison us. In young children, even low levels of lead over time can lead to hearing loss, hyperactivity, lower intelligence, attention deficit, and problems in school. Very high levels of lead in the body can cause seizures, severe brain damage that results in mental retardation, coma, and even death.

Unborn babies and young children under 6 years old are the most at risk for lead poisoning. They are more likely to come into contact with lead in their environment when they are crawling or putting things into their mouths. And because their bodies and brains are still physically developing, they can be permanently affected by what gets into their bodies.

Young children also absorb more lead into their brains, bones, kidneys, and other organs than adults and older children. The human brain is growing the fastest when we are between birth and 3 years old, when the connections in our nervous system are developing. These connections control how we think and learn, how we move, how we hear, and how we behave. That is why getting lead poisoning as a young child can have such a devastating impact on a person’s lifelong health and ability to function.

Many of the symptoms of lead poisoning often look the same as less serious illnesses. For example, at very low levels, lead can cause stomach pain, irritability, sleeplessness, and anemia. So it is critical that we test all young children’s blood for lead poisoning.

How can the lead get into my child?

The most common way that lead gets into our environment is through lead-based paint, which was banned for sale in New Jersey in 1971, but not until 1978 in the rest of the country. But lead-based paint that had been sold before that date was still used all over the country for a long time afterward, including in New Jersey. And there are still many buildings and other structures with coats of lead-based paint. Most older buildings in New Jersey still have some lead-based paint, and the lead-based paint that was used before 1950 contains the most lead.

Even though paint chips are very dangerous because they can contain a large amount of lead, eating the paint itself is not the most common way that a child gets lead poisoning. More dangerous is the unseen lead in fine household dust and dirt that been contaminated by lead-based paint. The lead particles get into the dust from the paint on surfaces that are either deteriorating (flaking and peeling) or loosened by abrasive action, such as rubbing with a dry cloth or when windows are opened and closed. Children breathe in and swallow this dust, and it is easily absorbed into their bodies.

Lead that cannot be seen also gets into outside dirt from several sources, including peeling house paint, the removal of houses or other buildings that contained lead, and gasoline that settled into the dirt before 1976 (when lead in gasoline was banned). There is no way to get lead out of dirt—the dirt has to be removed.

Lead is also present in many other places in the environment that can poison children—and adults. For example, lead can be found in drinking water that sits in lead pipes or pipes that are connected with lead solder. Lead solder in drinking systems was banned in 1986, but the water pipes in many buildings still contain it.

Lead may also be found in many products that we buy for use in our homes and businesses. And it is often in foods from other countries. Some toys that are made in other countries contain lead. And many types of pottery and cookware that are imported from other countries contain lead-based paint or glazes that can come off and be ingested along with the food that they hold. The United States did not set a limit for lead in dishes until the early 1980s, so older ceramic dishware made here may also contain lead.

Many products that contain lead are not as obvious. For example, some vinyl mini-blinds from other countries contain lead. And some foreign-made eyeliners and paints used to decorate women’s eyes in some cultures contain lead. Also, there are many foods and their containers that are imported from other countries that contain lead, such as candies and canned goods, and the wrappers and cans that they come in. Many candies made in Mexico and other countries contain chili as an ingredient. The chili becomes contaminated with lead in the dirt and dust where it grows, which makes the candy highly toxic.

Often the print on plastic bags contains lead. These bags should not be re-used. And the colored print in comic books and in newspapers often contains lead. Children should always wash their hands before eating.

It does not matter what the lead is contained in: Lead is poisonous when it enters the body. And it is more dangerous when it enters the body of an unborn baby or a young child.

When and how can I get my child tested?

If a child is between 6 months and a year old and has been exposed to a lead hazard, such as peeling paint or living in an older house or apartment that was renovated without precautions to control lead dust, the child should be tested for lead as soon as possible. Otherwise, all children should be tested for lead poisoning when they are about 12 months old and again at 24 months. If they are between 24 months and 6 years old, and have never been tested, they should be.

Although no specific levels of lead in the blood have been determined to be “safe” or “normal,” the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention currently considers that lead levels in the blood at or above 10 micrograms of lead per deciliter of blood (10 µg/dL) cause related developmental problems.

If your child has Medicaid, NJ FamilyCare, or another type of commercial insurance (for example, group insurance through an employer) and has not been tested according to the above schedule, or you are not sure if your child has been tested when he or she should have been, contact your pediatrician’s office. Ask the nurse for an appointment or to tell you what date(s) your child was tested and the results.

If you have health coverage through Medicaid or NJ FamilyCare, the cost of lead testing and any follow-up treatment that might be needed will be covered. In 1995, New Jersey passed a law to also require all commercial health insurers that cover groups of 50 or more people to cover the cost of lead screening (and immunizations) without any deductibles.

If you have no insurance coverage for your child and cannot afford to pay, you may call your local public health department for a free test. Call your municipal center or town hall if you cannot find the number for your town’s health department, or call the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services at 1-609-292-5666. Or you may have your child tested at a federally qualified health center (for locations, check the N.J.P.C.A. Web site).

The test for determining the level of lead in a person’s blood takes only about 10 minutes, and the final results are back in a week.

What can I do if my child has high levels of lead?

By law, laboratories must report the names and locations of children who tested positive for high levels of lead to the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services. The state must then contact the public health department of the municipality where the child resides. The health department will send a public health nurse to the residence to inform the family of the test result and to arrange for medical treatment.

The local public health department must also send an inspector to locate and identify the lead hazards in the home, send a report to the property owner/landlord, and inform the owner/landlord that he or she is legally required to remove the hazards. If necessary, the public health department will take the property owner to court to force him or her to remove the hazards.

Are you pregnant?

Lead that is stored in the bones of a pregnant woman goes through to the developing fetus in her womb. In March 2005, New Jersey started a program to help prevent lead poisoning by providing low- and moderate-income families and pregnant women with free kits to test their homes (whether owned or rented) for lead-contaminated dust. The program is called Wipe Out Lead NJ. You are eligible for the free test kit if your home is 25 years old or older and anywhere in New Jersey. If you are receiving prenatal care through a health center, an OB-GYN in a private office, or a hospital clinic, ask for one of these test kits if you have not already been given one. Otherwise, you can call 1-856-665-6000 to order a free kit from the Family Health Initiatives, a project of the Southern New Jersey Perinatal Consortium.

This information last reviewed 10/26/11

 

Top of page Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Glossary

Low-income New Jerseyans can get free legal help by phone: call our toll-free hotline at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Outside of New Jersey, please call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.