curved lines

LSNJ LAW has just been redesigned to better answer your legal questions, help you with your legal problems, or just teach you more about the law.
Please visit our new Web site at

LSNJLAW: You and the Law in New Jersey
  Read ThisOnline IntakeGet More HelpAbout LSNJEspanolSite Map


Home Help      
Home Page > Taxes

What to Do if You Are Missing a W-2


By law, you should have received your Form W-2 by February 1, 2010, for the wages you earned in 2009. If you have not received your Form W-2, follow these four steps:

  1. Contact your employer to inquire if and when the Form W-2 was mailed. If it was mailed, it may have been returned to the employer because of an incorrect or incomplete address. Allow a reasonable time for the employer to resend or reissue the Form W-2.

  2. Contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 if you still do not receive your Form W-2. When you call, you must provide your name, address, and Social Security number. Give the IRS your employer’s name, address, and telephone number; the dates of your employment in 2009; and an estimate of you 2009 wages and the federal income tax withheld. You should be able to get this information from your last paystub.

  3. File your return by April 15, 2010, even if you have not received your Form W-2. You can use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2. Attach this form to your return, estimating income and taxes as best as you can. There may be a delay in any refund due while the IRS attempts to verify the information on your return.

  4. File a Form 1040X, amended tax return, if you receive your Form W-2 after you have filed your tax return and the information on the Form W-2 is different from the information on your return.

Form 4852 and Form 1040x are available at the IRS web site.

This information last reviewed 11/2/11.


Top of page Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Glossary

Low-income New Jerseyans can get free legal help by phone: call our toll-free hotline at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Outside of New Jersey, please call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.