No-fee automobile registration is available for veterans who meet the following conditions:
- The veteran must be 100 percent disabled.
- The veteran must be eligible for the automobile financial assistance from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
- The veteran must have incurred or aggravated one of the following injuries during active military service:
- Loss or permanent loss of use of one or both feet.
- Loss or permanent loss of use of one or both hands.
- Permanent impairment of vision of both eyes to a prescribed degree. Veterans with best-corrected vision no better than 20/200 or less or field defect of 20 degrees or less are considered eligible.
How do I apply?
Application for plates and registrations are processed by Motor Vehicle Services. Applications are available at local Motor Vehicle Agencies. For more information, call the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission at 1-888-486-3339
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor recipients are eligible for a no-fee registration and will receive special license plates noting their award. For information, call the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission at 1-888-486-3339.
For more information about your legal rights as a veteran, please contact the Veterans Legal Assistance Project at Legal Services of New Jersey by calling LSNJ’s statewide, toll-free legal hotline, LSNJ-LAW™, at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529) Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Outside of New Jersey, please call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.
This information last reviewed 2/18/10.