curved lines

LSNJ LAW has just been redesigned to better answer your legal questions, help you with your legal problems, or just teach you more about the law.
Please visit our new Web site at

LSNJLAW: You and the Law in New Jersey
  Read ThisOnline IntakeGet More HelpAbout LSNJEspanolSite Map


Home Help      
Home Page > Veterans

Discharge Upgrades


Veterans who seek discharge upgrades must contact their branch-specific review board to submit an application. The U.S. Army, Air Force, and Coast Guard branches operate separate review boards. The U.S. Navy operates a review board for both Navy personnel and members of the United States Marine Corps. The boards typically review the veteran’s service record and contact members of the veteran’s prior chain of command to make a determination about the veteran’s upgrade request. The boards are not allowed to revoke (withdraw) a discharge or recall a person to active duty. Contact information for the branch-specific review boards is as follows:

This information last reviewed 3/15/10.


Top of page Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Glossary

Low-income New Jerseyans can get free legal help by phone: call our toll-free hotline at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Outside of New Jersey, please call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.