The core elements of the funeral honors ceremony, which will be conducted on request, include a minimum two-person detail, flag folding, flag presentation, and playing of Taps, which may be from a recording. The veteran’s parent service representative will present the flag. Military Funeral Honors are provided by the Department of Defense at no cost to the family. The military service request at least 48 hours advance notice in order to organize the funeral honors detail.
Who is eligible for Military Funeral Honors?
The following people are eligible:
- Military members on active duty or in the Selected Reserve
- Former military members who served on active duty and departed under conditions other than dishonorable
- Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and departed under conditions other than dishonorable
- Former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.
Who may I contact to arrange Military Funeral Honors in New Jersey?
The Department of Defense toll-free hotline is only for funeral directors. 1-877-MILHONR (1-877-645-4667.
Army, Army Reserve and Army National Guard
The Ft. Dix office covers the entire state. 609-562-4453 or 562-3147.
Headquarters Marine Corps
Marine Corps, including Reserves
USMC reserve units divide the state by counties.
- Dover (Picatinny Arsenal): 973-724-4700/4701 (covers Sussex, Passaic, Bergen, Warren, Morris, Essex, Hudson, and Union Counties)
- Red Bank: 732-530-4500, ext. 548 or after hours 732-239-7526 cell phone (covers Somerset, Middlesex, Monmouth and Ocean Counties)
- Trenton: 609-882-5133, ext. 1 or after-hours 609-743-2506 (covers Hunterdon, Mercer, Burlington, and Atlantic Counties)
- Wilmington, DE: 302-998-6695 (covers Cape May, Cumberland, and Salem Counties)
- Willow Grove, PA: 215-443-6740 24-hour duty (covers Camden and Gloucester Counties).
Navy, including Reserves and Merchant Marines
All funeral honor requests must be through Groton, Connecticut. The phone number is 860-694-3475. They will contact either Naval Weapons Station Earle, or Lakehurst Naval Engineering Station, depending upon the geographic location of the interment site (north or south of Interstate 195).
Air Force, Air Force Reserves, and Air National Guard
The McGuire Air Force Base office covers the entire state: 609-754-4117.
U.S. Coast Guard contact 757-298-6390.
Comments or concerns may be directed to Military Funeral Honors, 9504 IH-35 North, Suite 320, San Antonio, TX 78233-6635.
For more information about your legal rights as a veteran, please contact the Veterans Legal Assistance Project at Legal Services of New Jersey by calling LSNJ’s statewide, toll-free legal hotline, LSNJ-LAW™, at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529) Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Outside of New Jersey, please call 732-572-9100 and ask to be transferred to the hotline.
See Death Benefits for New Jersey Veterans
This information last reviewed 2/18/10.